1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday night polishing

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Michael W, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

A little bit of high gloss polishing to get tomorrow's kitchen refit ready to go out the door

Attached Files:

jimmyc, Marylee, andyfloss and 5 others like this.
  2. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice one. Was it a two pack paint?

andyfloss likes this.
  3. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Yes @Puma 2x polyester base coat then 2x 5% pu matt topcoat followed by 2x high gloss pu clearcoat, looks very nice off the gun but just polishing to bring out the clarity and take the odd nib out that inevitably always finds it way in.

Daf, andyfloss, RonyT and 1 other person like this.
  4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Often wondered about polishing before re-fitting but I don't have the knowledge on how to do it properly.

I do however have the ability to totally fook up a perfectly good job in the attempt to make it better.

Please Sir, how do you polish after the final coating to rid nibs, without increasing the sheen.

Daf, Tomcio, andyfloss and 2 others like this.
  5. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Good morning @RonyT I am afraid I don't know how to denib and polish without increasing the sheen, I'm sure there must be a way but we only polish high gloss as it shows every little fibre floating around that lands in the wet finish,with lower sheen finishes we don't really notice the odd fibre or spec of dust

Marylee, Tomcio, andyfloss and 3 others like this.
  6. RonyT

Hmmm, been thinking about this @Michael W. What do you use to polish up please ?
    I'm asking as a couple of times there has been very slight bits in the finish coat which twists my melons and I wonder if polishing them out might be a good idea.
    It will as you say increase the sheen but will do a test to see by how much.

Marylee, andyfloss and Michael W like this.
  7. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Good evening @RonyT we use Roar 610 extreme cut then 2nd stage is Roar 620 extra fine and our 3rd stage is Roar 730 speed gloss.

I think it may shine it up too much but definitely worth testing, the guy that works with me was dusting off some dark green drawer fronts the other day ready for return to the custome. He used a micro fibre from the wash pile by mistake that had some compound residue on it and we could definitely see where he had rubbed up the finish, it was a 10% finish but where he had dusted it had brought it up to about 30%. This wasn't in a test situation and was a complete mistake but might be worth trying to see what happens when properly tested. When we de-nib we use 1500 mirka microstar and 3000 mirka abralon or 3m trizact.

The Roar products are great,not cheap but better value in my opinion than the 3m system, the Roar system contains a lot less solvent and it stays wetter for longer, we find we don't get dry clogged up compound so much so it definitely goes further and we use less, its a great product and makes polishing a lot easier and a lot less smelly, oh and also the Roar doesn't spatter everywhere either so less mess too.

Marylee, Buckers, RonyT and 1 other person like this.
  8. RonyT

Brilliant info Sir. Thank you for taking the time to respond so comprehensively. :doff:

Michael W and andyfloss like this.
  9. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looking up info on Renner and the guy Eric on you tube that @Daf talked about ??? Anyway linky He talks about the 3m trizact 'magic pad' . Tried looking for them in the uk but haven't found anything yet....

Daf, Buckers, Tomcio and 1 other person like this.
  10. RonyT

Ooooo me likey the look of them.
    Thanks for that :thumbsup:

11. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:winky: