1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Take a Break - off topic stuff.' started by Colour Republic, Sep 23, 2011.

1. AndyClassOne

AndyClassOne PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

OMG is that place still there? I remember going there, IIRC, about three in the morning while I was helping a mate spray a metal staircase overnight in a bank. Probably closer to thirty than twenty years ago now and I remember the place being rammed with the radio going in the corner so that you couldn't hear yourself think but wonderful bagels, salmon and cream cheese if memory serves me rightly.

Sprayandrun likes this.
  2. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yep its still their and still open late.
    If i am near liverpool st i always pop in.

3. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

who else is going to Brine their Turkey this year.

4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Finished watching John Torode's Korean Tour and although I find him a little cring/creepy this tour was brilliant.
    Sooo many different things which surprised me. I had a thought that I may be a little bit similar to Japanese cuisine (which I love), but I couldn't be further from the truth.

All about the Jang (sauce/paste).

Ordered a load of stuff off Ebay Asian stores (Gochujang, Deojang etc) and I am loving it !

Did some lamb chops basted in Gochujang on the BBQ and oh my they were so good !

As for Kimchi...………. Utterly addictive

So much more to learn

Sprayandrun likes this.
  5. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Tried making some bread from scratch today. It was so dense i recon i could build a house if i had enough flour.

Tomcio, Painter16 and Peter Humphreys like this.
  6. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just thinking about doing some black country ,grey peas and bacon ,was laughing on the phone with keef just told him the same and me mrs shouting ark at him bloody chief of the year haha,some of you southern softies should try them perhaps not the nicest food to look at but bloody tasty, then you can recommend one of ya local food for us to try

bruntonpasty likes this.
  7. bruntonpasty

bruntonpasty PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Kev, this uses Carlins/maple peas? If so, I never liked them!! My mother used to do them for Carlin sunday, or as my old fella oft said, "Carlin sunday followed by fartin' monday"

Painter16 likes this.
  8. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Painter16 although your right above watford is the north, im surprised a fella from the midlands actually picks sides.
    Oddly i count up to norfolk on my side as southerners suppose if you go to area you count it as part of your patch...sorry off topic @mistcoat.
    Peas though that divides people and fish and chips, you have the curry sauce on bits in wales, dustbin lid in glasgow, up north is different as well and down south different again.

Painter16 likes this.
  9. Painter16

Haha yes true about farting Monday ,I’m just soaking some now ,tomorrow’ will simmer them for about hour in some fresh water then fry me smoked bacon cut into little bits then put in pot with the juices,and simmer for around hour ,then let the farting begin,
    Sprayandun,I’m deff not down south I don’t really pick sides ,it’s all said in jest,no harm intended

RonyT likes this.
  10. RonyT

Here you go from a southern softie menu

whole shoulder of the finest Kentish salt marsh lamb, marinated in my own stuff (grated onion, garlic, fresh rosemary & oregano, lemon juice and olive oil. Slow roasted on the BBQ for 4 1/2 hours.
    Oishi desu as the Japanese would say

upload_2020-6-6_20-31-46.jpeg

11. Painter16

Ohhh man that looks nice ,lamb is me fav meat

12. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Never thought of paring oregano with lamb. I was on a non meat eating phase for a good while but my missus (half Persian) makes amazing slow cooked Persian lamb dishes which broke me in the end. Tbh you'd have to be a complete moron to mess up a slow cooked lamb dish. Its almost a guaranteed winner . Persian food isn't that well known but it's so good. I know you're a keen cook so you should check it out if you're not familiar with it already mate

RonyT and Sprayandrun like this.
  13. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

You know what they say about Persian/half Persian lady's, dont'cha?

14. RonyT

Oregano is a perfect buddy for lamb. Widely used in Greek and Turkish cooking with lamb.

Mate, I left it in the BBQ for an extra 30 mins after that photo and the savoury “crust” from the marinade was, and not blowing me own trumpet..... ok I will, the best thing I’ve tasted in a long while. The grated onions had reduced to a sweet savoury crusty bit of lovelyness.
    I’m actually dribbling again thinking about it.

the lamb was in a different class. If you can get hold of authentic Salt Marsh lamb from kent, give it a go.

My local awesome butcher gets it from time to time (it’s in high demand) and its only a ten minute WALK away.
    :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Painter16 and crj like this.
  15. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

No, but I feel like I should :scratchhead:

16. Painter16

It does look good mate ,funny how you can taste something in ya head,even though it's not there ,

RonyT likes this.
  17. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

crj likes this.
  18. RonyT

Historically, Persian food is all about low and slow. In pots over a slow burn. Spices were added in their time to preserve meat or hide meat that was past its prime. As was lemons and other acid fruits to cure meats for long journeys. What Persian food does best, for me, is mix the spice with fruit or sweet with hot from chillie. Although most Persian or Iranian restaurants I’ve been to tend to play down the hot. Same as proper Indian restaurants and food. It’s not about the heat, it’s about the correct spices.

Your husband is probably going to laugh at what I’ve put, but it’s only what I’ve learnt from an outsider of cooking. Trying to understand though.

Mind you, the Indian and the Portuguese came up with my favourite dish, when done by an Indian (not Bangladeshi) chef which is a Vindaloo.

19. RonyT

:shake:This is perfect with lamb or beef. Rioja is my fave red with food and that’s a statement given I love true Argentinian Malbec. ( my old man always growls at me about that :biggrin:)
    51A074C7-C069-4A3E-911E-EF3FCFA410A1.jpeg

It’s not too pricey @ £15 but well worth it. Ok so it’s £5 above bog standard most available Rioja’s, but hey Price for price, I’d rather drink 1 decent rather than 2 average.

Open it up and let it breath for an hour or two. If you’ve not got a decanter, pour it into a gravy jug (most northers will have at least 10). Sounds stupid, but you are allowing air onto the surface in a wide vessel which will “open up” the wines flavour.

All hail the southern ponce/softie

:biggrin:

crj and Painter16 like this.
  20. Painter16

As borat would say. Very nice I like very much

RonyT and crj like this.