1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Poor Workmanship Thread.

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by mistcoat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

2627F602-0404-4A57-9CFB-E4E932278902.jpeg
    F47E2640-E21C-4A74-AEA2-176127E87624.jpeg
    77700AAE-4751-49DA-92A5-1A31A663DBC6.jpeg
    B8B6DA56-031C-4624-AFBD-0CF67F1E6A49.jpeg
    8B59BEC0-A391-46B9-98FA-56E479806B8D.jpeg

Some of the chippy work on a recent job we was on, everything was like this. Every hinge cut to the same attention of detail!

Tomcio, 3 spires, barry and 3 others like this.
  2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@CheshireDecorator Did you pull him up on it, Sam?
    —-
    Kick his head in @kirk
    Then take his tools and vehicle away from him :biggrin:
    It’s all wrong!

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    barry, Daf, bitzz and 3 others like this.
  3. kirk

@mistcoat what’s really wrong are the builders. They don’t care about it being done right as it’s cheaper to pay the men in white to put it right... lots of filler :hysterical:

which lets be honest isn’t actually funny for the poor sods house It is in a years time

Tomcio, Daf, Painter16 and 2 others like this.
  4. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

No I didn't mate , had one set of guys do my hall stairs landing and another set the builders supplied. The last lot seen all the filler and thought it was great I was snagging for them :facepalm:
    ---
    Tell you what though its mental what all the diffrent light shows up, makes you very paranoid about what you see at work and what the customers see at night

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2021
    Waynetta, bagshot, Tomcio and 6 others like this.
  5. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Spot on mate got work coming out me ear holes now ,yes the owner is a nice guy it’s a young couple first house and they spent a fortune on it ,feel really sorry for them ,I could have walked away quite easily spottie,but I don’t like seeing peps like them get ripped off,which they have been by this dodgy builder,the plastering is the worst I have ever seen ,theses a lot of bodge stuff gone on here by this guy that he’s done himself to much to mention ,he’s charged them the earth and got cheap peps in to do it ,I found out now that he’s not paid some off them and kept monies for himself, it could have and should have been a lovely job to work on ,but it’s been a nightmare,but we couldn’t leave um in that mess it will look good when we finished it next week ,but it couldhave been stunning,finding out all sorts about this builder now,had a little look into him ,he’s gone bust twice on his third new company name ,I really hate so called trade guys like him ,I been going there every day just angry because of what he’s done to them ,he’s surposed to be a friend of the family:shocked:,my god ,I will put some pic up next week of the finished house ,I think they will have probs you carnt see yet ,when they start using things say like the heating and such ,I’m not feeling confident a bout the new roof he’s put on,we haven’t had a good down pour yet to test it ,but I can only try me best to help them,

Waynetta, Tomcio, fred and 4 others like this.
  6. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Was going to say I did say at the beginning of this job I had had enough and nearly did walk away ,but the owner has been good to me and me mate with the monies he’s just been unlucky picking this turd of a builder ,and would have felt bad if I had left it like that ,just want a easy life now ,but older I get more stupid and daft I get lol

7. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I would certainly show the owners this, did he “chippy “ have chaps on? Yeeee haaaa

One very crap chippy, just larffed me head off to that skirting, what’s happening there, filler?

Show the owners, and get them kicked off, it’s A holes like this that brings reputation down for the good guys, damn, I can’t stop larffing at that skirting

Utterly shameful

Tomcio, Painter16 and mistcoat like this.
  8. kirk

@Daf I would of loved too, but unfortunately I’m a subby , and the firm I sub to was working for the builder not the customer and I don’t fancy losing my job got to pay the bills ​

andyfloss, Tomcio, Daf and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bronco

Bronco PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I'm on a site subbing new houses. Fine site. The painting contractor needed another house done so he advertised for a crew. 2 guys landed.. 1 guy aged about 60 and his son with tracksuit bottoms and bottle coke in his pocket! Anyways he asked me to check in on them later on in the day.... Oh dear. Their brushes were from the £2 shop.. anyways this is how they paint door frames... They were told to clean the hinges and later we found out they had used 100 grit sandpaper... They were given the road.. but they wanted paying :hysterical:

Attached Files:

C4th, RonyT, Waynetta and 3 others like this.
  10. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Please tell me they didn’t get paid in the end

barry likes this.
  11. Bronco

I don't think so. But they were adamant that they were to be paid, cheeky f***ers

12. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Toshers, how long would that have taken, to wipe over with some acetone or big wipes? The laziness of some “painters” well, toshers unbelievable.

C4th likes this.
  13. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Was all their work sub standard? We've all got to put food on the table. Workmanship looks and is very poor and not to painting standards.
    Very least, they should have snagging deducted from a payment.

On some site contracts I've worked on, companies have needed bodies on job, regardless of standard, or fines are imposed. Snagging picked up within the pre handover period, sometimes cheaper than the imposed fines for not meeting contractual agreements. I'm not intending to defend poor workmanship, sometimes there are deeper reasons.

14. Bronco

They definitely were not painters.

15. Bronco

I'm of the opinion if you're not a painter you should not be looking for work as a painter, them 2 were not painters, to call them toshers would be an insult to a tosher, that's how bad they were. They had no tools. No brushes. Etc...

Buckers, C4th, barry and 1 other person like this.
  16. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I quite agree, if you're not a painter and you don't look for work as a painter, many will try, as anyone can paint, can't they!!!?

I hope your boss managed to juggle and you kept the agent off your backs, without any damage caused to you or company you work for.

Your photos brought back some awful memories of months snagging putting work right. I use to moan and groan, even walking off job sometimes with pure frustration. Some companies even had spare fittings to use, sometimes quicker to replace than clean. Painted ones got cleaned when/if we had spare time or at home.

Bronco likes this.
  17. Bronco

Thankfully the site foreman wasn't in that day. But the builder was! His 1st time on site in months but thankfully he didn't see the hinges. They will have to be replaced I'd imagine because they're destroyed with scratches from the sandpaper.

I hate snagging too, especially somebody else's work.

C4th, RonyT and barry like this.
  18. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

They just finished it I've been told.
    Painted in full sun blast no prep but good carpentry just the sharp edges and nail holes not filled but that's not what makes the good job good isn't?

Attached Files:

19. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

You taking on the fix?

20. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

No I'm not involved with it . just doing furniture refinishing for the HO that will be paying top dollar for this fence screen.

Wayners likes this.