1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinting paint

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Waynetta, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

32ABD1E9-7839-4AAF-A096-1A2C8CF81F77.jpeg

customer was gutted that the gallon of Ben Moore regal she ordered looked nothing like the picture on the web site. Colour far right was what she got but wanted it lighter and bluer.
    She had loads of white for the top half so I said I’d see what would happen if we toned it down with white.
    As I expected though it just got grayer so nipped home and picked up some light blue and a dark Aqua marine green I had spare.
    After a bit of tinkering I ended up with this colour which I’ve called ‘Hobbit Blue 2021’

095CC776-7E1C-4150-BF31-6A06F4CCC6D8.jpeg

one very happy customer indeed.

RonyT, Puma, bitzz and 9 others like this.
  2. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Saved by the skin of your teeth!

Looks lovely

Waynetta likes this.
  3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice mixing, @Waynetta Its a nice colour :thumbsup:

I usually say to customers who are excited by colours they have chosen from a “staged” setting.
    That image has loads of studio lights, different colour flooring/furnishings etc, which can throw off a different lighting effect to change the wall colour, so they need to get samples before I start.

Samples are king if you want a get out of jail card!
    Otherwise they just blame you or the manufacturer.

4. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Perfect answer imo young Tim. Cheque in post for this weeks best post:doff:

mistcoat likes this.
  5. cpb

cpb PPS Tradesman

Looks great, love the colour. Did you just use spare regal select to mix or anything else?

6. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks good @Waynetta and a good result with the colour too. :thumbsup:

'Hobbit Blue 2021'? Named after anyone in particular my diminutive mate?:biggrin:

RonyT, ahenrypd, bitzz and 2 others like this.
  7. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Hope you copyrighted it before F&B knick it!

And you saved yourself -A Unexpected Journey to fetch some more paint!

:tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

RonyT, Hang it all, ahenrypd and 2 others like this.
  8. Waynetta

Regal matt and Aura bath n spa.... obviously under the understanding that it’s completely at there own risk. I’m back there in 8 weeks to do the exterior so will check it for any failure.

:hysterical::thumbsup:

9. Yorkshire Dec

Yorkshire Dec PPS Tradesman

Looks like a quality job.
    I'm colour blind (much to customers amusement!) so I don't see that much difference in the colours apart from dark to lighter grey!
    I always recommend tester pots. The colour brochures all have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page with an asterisk, which I point out to the customer, saying that the colour may vary in different settings blah, blah, blah. It covers your back.
    Also only ever done a horizontal stripe once in twenty odd years, looks odd to me without a picture or dado rail but if the customers happy then it's all good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

C4th likes this.
  10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

My old Asst. Manager at Johnstone's was colour blind too.

He came out of the Army after 23 years in Bomb Disposal. "Don't cut the red one, Smiffy!" :lol:

Last sentence was a fib :biggrin:

RonyT, Yorkshire Dec, bitzz and 2 others like this.
  11. Waynetta

Must say it was odd she didn’t get a test pot. When I did the HSL they spent over £100 on testers !! Think maybe hubby said something :oldman:

Yorkshire Dec likes this.
  12. Samdex

Samdex PPS Tradesman

Found the BM testers to not be perfect match to aura anyway probably due to the difference in sheen.