1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TooledUp - It is with much Sadness...

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by mistcoat, Nov 10, 2010.

1. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

He must have been a very clever man to get this marvellous forum up and running. The Dulux one is a shadow of this with all their millions to spend. Yes , cancer is a bxxxer, and lung cancer is the bxxxer of bxxxers, with a 5% survival rate. My wife went with it age 59. I read Pete was even younger. It respects no one .

siwel, bagshot and mistcoat like this.
  2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry to hear that Barry :sad:

barry likes this.
  3. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I had the great pleasure of meeting Pete, shared a few stories and few drinks with him, was a while ago now, but will always remember him fondly.

He could seem a little quiet to some but once he got going then he was a good laugh and had time for everybody.

And just like last year, my first drink in Cov wil be drunk in Petes memory :cheers:

mistcoat likes this.
  4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Good on yer, Neil :cheers:

5. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

RIP , didn't have the pleasure but know from here you are a top man

here is a quote that im sure his family and friends could wish for

If tears could build a stairway,
    And memories a lane,
    I’d walk right up to Heaven
    And bring you home again.
    ~Author Unknown

mistcoat likes this.
  6. Paintycait

Paintycait PPS Time Served

RIP Pete. Like others I never met him but encountered him on various forums and enjoyed his posts.
    He leaves a legacy of knowledge and humour on-line.

7. Davide

Davide PPS Time Served

Genuinely sorry to hear that Barry.

I didn't know TooledUp and I continue to appreciate his creation here with this forum.

I'm not wanting to distract from an anniversary of his untimely passing in any way, but if anyone reading this (or knows someone) that gets confronted with cancer of the oesophagus .... there is an online diary. (He blogged about his journey.)

It starts here:
    http://thebookofsilence.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/this-is-story-about-my-journey-through.html

... and I quote from the author (swordfish);

Why "The Book of Silence"?

"Without ever dwelling on the subject, I have always thought that there are two ways in which your life can be taken

1.The lightening bolt - e.g. heart attack or whilst in sleep
    2.Like a deciduous tree gradually shedding it leaves

There's not much point in thinking about these things until they confront you, but what I hadn't expected was to find myself in a situation where there was a "tree shake" going on behind the scenes without my knowledge.

It is easy to question some of my symptoms retrospectively, but there was a build up of issues that eventually led me to take action rather than one obvious sign. My condition crept up on me without showing me its hand.

Once you find yourself in the postion that I am in the question is "How do I get out of it".

Just as this condition developed by stealth I expect to have to find a strong centre of inner peace - "emotional silence".
    To be surrounded by a solid and supportive team is a good start.

Just as in everyday life, I expect to find fun, humour, hope, pain, sorrow and despair along my near-term journey. The only difference is that I expect the roller-coaster to reach higher highs and lower lows.

I hope that anyone who joins me on this journey is able to take something positive from the experience."

===
    end quote
    ===

http://thebookofsilence.blogspot.co.uk/

Apologies if the above is too far off topic. I read the entire blog. It's worth bookmarking in case you ever hear of cancer of the oesophagus. Which can start with a small/minor difficulty in swallowing solids.

Hopefully it won't be too many years from now when cancer will be overcome.

8. teldec

teldec PPS Tradesman

i lost my dad aged 72 to cancer 11 months ago, he was a painter and dec all his life and worked with me right up until june of last year, also lost my cousin at 59 the year before, he was my next in line when i had too much work on.
    i was not on here when pete was but its a good site that brings decorators from all over the country together as one.
    rip pete, dad, barry

9. bobajob

bobajob PPS Craftsman Bar Member

very sorry to here of the sad loss of tooledup having read the reports from the members of this forum he was a good bloke as for cancer its one of the few things in life that's completely fare it don't give a schitt for no one good or bad mors the pity

10. mistcoat

Did anyone raise a glass for Pete?

11. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yes I noticed it was 5 years too, rest easy Pete.

12. Dellboy

I totally forgot, normally I have a drink at the show in his memory, so tonight I will raise a glass or two for good old Pete :cheers:

13. mistcoat

Perhaps we better raise some more glasses when we meet at the hotel, Neil :cheers:

14. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

We'll raise a glass to Pete, and all the other friends & family we've lost this year :yes:

15. Dellboy

Yes mate, I think the first one should be for Pete, my round :cheers:

16. mistcoat

You can be sure of that, Mr. G :friends:

I'll drink to that :thumbsup:

17. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

In memory of your friend Tooledup, always nice to keep a memory of a friend lost

To Tooled up :cheers:

18. mistcoat

Do you know, @Daf totally got my dates mixed up :blush:
    Fair play to you sir :doff:

:cheers: TooledUp
    Where does the time go?

KLHTim and Daf like this.
  19. Robbie Williams

Robbie Williams PPS Apprentice

Sad to hear this. Didn’t know him personally but saw his name pop up over the years. Rest in peace, sir.

———
    Cancer is an indiscriminate killer. I’ve lost family to lung cancer. asbestos related. Reduce your exposure to it if you can. There are many materials that we decorators come into regular contact with, some now banned. Some active on the shelves that ought to be banned- 2part fillers for example (best wood filler out there in my experience, but absolutely toxic). We tradesmen have a duty to cut back on using such products, toxic at point of application, toxic when the next decorator makes good in years to come. Take care of yourselves and others. Use low voc wherever possible. And always wear a mask and glasses when prepping. Love and respect to everyone on this great forum, past and present.

mistcoat, Tomcio, Lee Anthony and 7 others like this.