1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Untouched 1930s house.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by chris spence, Jan 19, 2011.

1. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Im doing this 1930s project at the moment, its totally untouch since build, decorated only once god knows how many years ago and it still has original plug socets and light switches !The window were replaced and what ever firm did them were totally c**p, all the pvc surround dropped off and i had to re point to put some stability back into the frame, i had to take dado and shelf off and refurb all round, im doing bottom half now it aint bad, a few craters and mouse holes, i think i will use that c/s to pave way for coating !

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Looks like it could be a good project, Chris.
    What are you doing with the walls?
    I guess you're using the Coverstain on the w/w?

3. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

That will keep you out of mischief for a while. Stick some pics up when you're done, we would like to see teh transformation & what you did :thumbup:

4. chris spence

Alright lads,
                        yep its alright, the clients are the good sort so ive got time on my side and a bit of cash for materials, im just getting familiar with that c/s and ive got to admit im very impressed and im using it for a few things, i tried it up on the ceilin wich was a nightmare,wallpapered and thick with satin, anyway i got the better of it  :hb: this is todays graft and a bit from yesterday evening. My client wants them plain and magnolia " Droolux ", so ive done the ceilin in mag and the coving im going to do in period aged white and woodwork,the w/w already looks a thousand times better with that c/s, it will look nice when done, i will keep ya posted, cause of the baby i miss you all and cant get on the net till late, i will try catch yous though.. :thumbsup:

5. Aggie

Aww, that's cominig along Chris :thumbsup:

6. mistcoat

Is that your packing up in the first aid box, Chris?  j/k  :jester:

That is coming on already, isn't it?
    I see the PDA wet paint sign there  :thumbup: Is the customer there or are they not in yet? Or is the sign just to remind you the paint is wet?
    How many times have I painted some trim, only to put my hand on the very bit I just painted to help me up from one knee, old git  :hysterical:

7. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

:hysterical:

Tim done it many times, the other one I do if my hair gets a bit long and sticks up like a quiff is to rub my hair on it and walk around with paint in my hair :biggrin:

8. Aggie

You have hair?? :talktohand: :talktohand: :offtopic:

9. mikethebrush

sore point in our house at the mo  :lol:

last week I had hair, this week I have stubble on my head :hysterical:

10. chris spence

HaHa the PDA tape is a bit of both, im allways putting my dabs were ive put a few strokes or my clients are doing it so ive taken to putting the stickie's up and the little green box is something you should all carry, comes in very handy sometimes, :whistle: ive had it a good old stretch and never used it but its there, just in case  :constructionsite:

Anyway ive got the bedroom out the way and considering the state it was in when i began im pretty pleased with it , it took me a bit longer than i anticapated but its done and i can move on,,well i have already, im on the stairs and its all w/w as you'll see,but first the master;

11. chris spence

Re: Hall & Stairs

I thought i would put this on a new thread,anyway check out these banisters & Stairs  :censored: And all the white behind is not wall its wood panelling and it goes right to the front door, can you believe they painted it white not only white but eggshell with nothing else  :dunno: i kid you not, not a thing no undercoat,primer no nothing,ive been trying to get my customers to let me restore but there having none of it,its bloody criminal, i would really enjoy restoring them, i would get rid of the square spindles and get some old carved mogs in there, same with the gate posts, dare to dream,anyway have a look and give me some feed back,ive more or less gone with what you told me too c/s 2 coats, eggshell 2, and i got some Blackfriars Poly, well i haven,t put brush to wood yet but tomorrow is the day, i was thinking of spraying it ? only because theres so much wood and i don't want to leave any trails !! so what do you think ?

12. mistcoat

Fancy painting the panels, I agree, that's just wrong, Chris.  :yes:

Eggshell is self undercoating. Agree with the primer  :thumbsup:
    I would be having a strawberry attack over those spindles. Those are my nemesis. Take them away.

13. chris spence

ive already given the bannister a coat of primmer after i sanded etc, but as for the egg being self primming, to tell the truth i would still put my u/c on before egg application, and thats with what ever i do i always u/c, its just the way i work, i like that thickness solid effect you get from three or four coats and yes sometimes its not needed but i know when to slimline..And as for those spindles ive been grafting those allday, i hate the things. :censored:
    Anyway don't you think egg is a weak paint with out a extra u/c, i like good advice when i was surposed to be listening i wasn't and know my old fella as gone its my biggest regret, all he passed on and i let in one ear and out the other, young and stupidly imature, but its never to late as the saying goes... :thumbsup:

14. mikethebrush

Im  2 coat man, its the way I was taught, two brushed out coats are better than one heavy coat

I use the eggshell as an u/c, if the lights not good and I think I may miss a bit on the topcoat I put a smidgen of colour in the kettle for the first coat so I can see where im going with 2nd, really thats no different than using u/c

u/c gives a flexible well adhered 1st coat to take the eggshell so its not a bad habit to get into :thumbup:

15. Colin

Colin PPS Time Served

When I started I was taught to one or two undercoats on doors before eggshelling. Then, after a careful rub-down we had to put the eggshell on as thin as possible - it was almost a dry brush - though you had to cover without misses, and you had to be quick before it began to set-up. Two coats like that and it certainly had a truly eggshell-like finish which you don't get with heavier applications when using the eggshell as its own undercoat IMHO. But nobody wants to pay for that many coats these days, and it only works in oils.

16. Aggie

Re: Hall & Stairs

I would leave those spindles well alone. If you look at teh design carefully, you will notice that they are in groups of three, each group is defined by a slightly larger gap between each group. If you look at the picture where the door is, there is also three panels in the glazed door. Being a 1930's property, I would say theta this obviously the original & what the Architect had intended it to be - the 'Deco' flavour, which suites the house.
    I agree with the paneling up the stairs, doesn't look particularly nice & does limit teh options for decorating. I may be inclined to remove that, but would replace it with a scheme to tie-in with teh '3' element - such as stenciled paneling - in 3's, using teh same proportions as the spindle group. - just a thought.
    The paneling - if it were to stay, could be undercoated & matt emulsion - with a brush. It doesn't have to be eggshell.

17. chris spence

hello lads,
    Ive had to reboot my desktop, ive lost loads of work and apps,pics and bits and bobs, im not the happiest man on the planet tonight.
    These bleeding computer bigwigs do your head in,they just send you round in circles hoping you will just go away,ive got that Norton security,payed £90 and its  :censored:cause i still got nailed with a email bomb, all my work as gone,contacts everything,this bloody desktop is only 6months old,i cant get my head around this set back,but such is life,  :grrrr:
    Anyway my stairs are coming on better than i thought,i will put some pics on when ive set up the blue tooth connection with my phone !!i put two thin coats of the egg and i wil take a look in the morin, it seems to slightly change shade the deeper you get into the tin, in the light its the colour im looking for but as soon as the sun drops

18. mikethebrush

thats something that is difficult to explain to customers, hence the sample pots painted on a wall for a few days :biggrin:

but colour is a fluid thing and is the light reflected onto the back of our eyes and as that reflection changes so does the colour