1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Up country

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by chris spence, Jun 10, 2011.

1. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Heres a couple of rooms, i used Zinsser Bullseye on most substrates and Zinsser Bin on most woodwork, top coat finishes were by Dulux,Farrow & Ball, Bedec Multi surface and  Sikkens, i only sprayed the front room and hall and stairs, i used a brush on the rest and i found a great little brush in the Pro Dec, for the 2 quid it cost me im now considering insuring for a couple thousand "great", but alot of tips and advice was taken from yourselves and put into practice which helped me a great deal and im forever grateful has it all helped me grow has a deccie and give me the determination to be better and give my clients a better alround service which is paying dividends, anyway slay me in your own time  :whistle:, and i will look in tomorrow, im shattered and need sleep...... :notworthy:
    PS the first photo is how all the rooms looked concerning condition, some worse than others, but i went through 20kg of filla, Toupret and Zinsser spackling :thumbsup:

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice work, Chris!
    Out of curio, what reason for the BIN on the w/work and BE on most substrates? Save me reading back over posts.

What did you think of the Bedec?

3. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks sharp mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. chris spence

i used alot of Zinsser because the substrares and quite alot of the woodwork was either in a bad state or replaced and previous dec work done was really bad with little or no prep work and no protection, and considering where this place is situated i personally thought the protection and wearability Zinsser provides would be better all round for the client and he wouldn't be having  poor substrate problems with paint deteriation etc every 6 months, i thought in the long run it would make ecocnomical sense and good decoration.
    The Bedec is awsome and worth every penny mate, i got some back on that aswell, well i was heavlly discounted on a big purchase after i made it clear the lads had put me straight and they had ripped me off and that fellas number you gave me, he was on holiday when i phoned but his partner made reps for me and exsplained alot i didn't know so"thanks" mate.
    You sure i can't take you up the country ?? :yay: :thumbsup: :notworthy:

5. chris spence

Thanks mate, im getting there slowly but surely.... :thumbsup:

6. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Lovely job Chris, customers must be over the moon. Nice one for the portfolio. :biggrin:

7. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

Nice little job that, you deserve to happy with it.  :thumbsup:

8. lee decor

lee decor PPS Tradesman

up country we all thought u left the country lol, nice job Chris, & hopefully alot more work & recommendations from the customer.  :thumbup:  you'll soon be painting in a checked tweed jacket lol

9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Cheers Chris  :thumbsup:
    I was wondering if you used the BIN due to staining of walls etc.

Glad you liked the Bedec. The fella's at Bedec are real nice guys. Hopefully they'll also be at this years paint show and we can have another beer with them.

Take me up the country? :blush:  :lol:

10. chris spence

Yes and that misty, has i did alot of filling and stripped alot of w/p which is only ever up to hide bad substrates,but it was mainly for its protection qualitys and foundation for final coat that i used it, we can hide many a stain with a good undercoating and for alot cheaper, but Zinsser offers more than stain killing which is my attraction to it and i dont think a house in the middle of the countryside with constant problems with damp, dust, insects, rats, fungi, moths, and other wildlife,then theres the acids and poo walked indoors from the farm and fields, it all affects the paint work and woodwork and more so than a urban house, and in my opinion Zinsser offered a good protection to the substrate for the location aswell as its other qualities.I didnt put BIN on the walls either,i put it on all woodwrk, i put Bulleye on the walls "the blue tin"w/b

11. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Very nicely done Chris.

if I were to be pedantic.............a tiny detail I noticed, would be to spend a little time titivating the stone at the top of the fireplace,  {second picture} where there is some plaster & paint from previously, overlapping. Not a criticism :no: just a little detail which would help with sharpness. :thumbsup:

12. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

as the others have already stated very sharp and lovely solid blocks of colour

youi have every reason to be proud of this work. well done mate

13. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

ive got some prodec brushes Chris and get on really well with them. its only when I was giving them a good clean that I realised that the ones I prefer for cutting in werent the purdeys but the prodecs, which goes to show that in a blind test prodec could easily outperform purdey

14. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

Well done Chris, it is great to see that sort of transformation.  :thumbsup: And sharp colours too. Imagine doing all that prep work just to paint maggie and white.  :sad:

You used good products, but just to give you something to consider in future on traditional old properties, you could simplify the prep and cut out any BIN smells by using Blackfriars Problem Solving Primer aka Classidur Primer. Prep and whack out dodgy walls and woodwork with the water based and low odour primer. It provides a solid base that you can over fill, sand down hard etc. If you go on traditionalpaint.co.uk (not to be confused with my site btw!) check out the other Classidur ranges which the restoration sector use. Food for thought.

15. josephandson

josephandson PPS Time Served

Looking good, I love doing that kind of work, the worse state it's in the better. Job satisfaction and all that, very important I think.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. Dave

Dave PPS Time Served

nice work there mate  :thumbup: