1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagner XVLP 3500

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Dan Baker, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jam Buster

Jam Buster PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Wagner bought and now own Titan & a few others from the look of it.
    I would guess that many of the groups machines could be internally identical.

They owned Titan since 1999...

'WAGNER International AG, headquartered in Altstätten (Switzerland), is the holding company for all operational units. It is owned by the two non-profit-making Josef-Wagner Foundations. In addition to the WAGNER brand, the WAGNER group also includes companies and brands such as Titan Tool Inc., Earlex Ltd., WALTHER Spritz- und Lackiersysteme GmbH and Reinhardt-Technik GmbH.' (from wagner site)

A brief history from the Wagner site

2. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You have to go through a wagner dealer, I had to buy some filters for the wagner xvlp 3500 and bought through YSS (Yorkshire Spray services)

3. Jam Buster

Poured some undiluted Sikkens bl satura into the 3500's cup and was suprised to see it could spray, so decided to search for some settings for sikkens with wagner and came across this (this is translated via google
    Sikkens paints with Wagner xvlp or if you want the original original Dutch version with pics

I think this is for the 5000 xvlp models but hope it will be of use for the 3500's also...

Found a few good vids on the Titan flexspray..which might be worth putting up for those interested, ...our American buddies seem to be getting on well with it and posting vids etc

Off work with a broken toe just now so can't get to do much spraying :thumbsup:

bagshot likes this.
  4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Good find sir :thumbsup:

Get well soon [​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty PPS Master Craftsman

You can't use a handheld sprayer 'cos of a broken toe?
    Now I have actually heard every excuse under the sun :hysterical::hysterical::jester:

Get well soon Jam :thumbsup:

6. Jam Buster

Thanks for all the choccies 'n' cards lads....
    flowers where a real surprise Frosty pop's :blush:

I'm just treating it like a mini break...

in the meantime...

also..

7. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman

I'm gonna sell mine, its a bit mucky but sprays fine, what would be a good price?

8. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

What you reason for selling Andy?

9. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman

Not using it, too much aggro for the kind of work i'm getting.

10. UltimateDecorating

UltimateDecorating PPS Tradesman

How much you after?

11. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yep how much you want Andy? How old is she?

12. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman

6 months old, gonna use it this morning, clean it up and put a pic up £250 I reckon is fair?

13. Jam Buster

Nipped out today, can't get to workshop yet, so just down side of house for a proper go with the xvlp 3500

Straight from can, Zinsser 1-2-3 not thinned and no additives set air to 8/9 and paint to 7. Just experimenting learn as I go

xvlp first test.jpg

first proper go this, a bit surprised it can chuck relatively heavy bodied paint out like this, although in future I will play about with different ratio's and additives etc

I've a long way to go before trying this out in a customers house, if I ever do. The reason I've bought it is for workshop use, spray windows & kitchen doors with primers and undercoats.

xvlp first test 4.jpg

As for overspray, at this setting the top of the pic below is the very outer overspray, very minute amounts to be fair.

xvlp first test 5.jpg

I'll (hopefully) get a vid on, next couple of days, spraying t&g paneling with white primer over green zinsser BIN.

All the above dried back decent enough if a little orange peely - user error loads to learn...

Sprayandrun and mistcoat like this.
  14. paulfrench

paulfrench PPS Apprentice

I am using the xvlp 5000 with the standard finish attachment mainly for spraying woodwork. I have heard that the fine spray attachment is good for eggshell/gloss/satin as it gives less overspray but the Wagner website seems to say it is for varnishes and low velocity materials. Can anybody tell me if it is worth buying one? They cost around £90 which seems expensive to me considering they are mainly made of plastic. By low velocity materials are they talking about eggshell/gloss/satin?

15. tjbelfield

I only use the fine finish nozzle and yes its worth it. Its finer, has more control and you can put anything through it.

16. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Mines arrived today ( 3500) be prepared for some stupid questions :biggrin:

kevmoti and mistcoat like this.
  17. Jam Buster

Thought I'd try the Fine spray head this time (brown)
    the nozzle I'll be using on cabinets, doors and window frames

came (free) as part of a deal for the sprayer £499 - separately I think the spray heads are about £80

- as an experiment I thought I'd try the 3500 indoors on some paneling

sheeted and taped the room up 12x8ft with high ceilings....it's our spare room and I wanted to finish the t&g paneling I'd installed.

Cut a long story short, the first coat of thinned 10% zinsser 123 has gone on, covered well and dried back with only the odd run which is my error whilst learning...

But, what has concerned me, is even though I expected a light dust in the air, I wasn't prepared for the length of time the paint hangs in the air -

a good 15 minutes after finishing the spraying, a very fine mist, noticeable only with a fine beam of light cutting through it still hung in the air.

These are very, very fine paint particles, not the standard over spray and dust...
    went back in room 30 mins after and although far less, air borne paint was still present...

I've a lot to learn, so I could well have the set up wrong (air-9 paint-6)

Just get the impression from the vids seems you could almost spray with no mask.

If your gonna buy the 3500 for indoor use you will have to use respirators and cut no corners in protecting your self and surroundings.

Respirator highly recommended

DSC_0672.JPG

Standard head (yellow) Fine head (brown) 3M Respirator

Mobile air extractors are cheap enough I'd recommend using indoors even with this handheld 3500
    For example

Just my novice view, not a lecture, just a heads-up you, couldn't see the paint :thumbsup:

mistcoat likes this.
  18. Frosty

Frosty PPS Master Craftsman

Good advice there Jam :thumbsup:
    One thing I'd note is that the extractor linked to is not explosion proof. So there is a possibility (even though it's very small) that if spraying solvent based it could be ignited by the "open" electric motor brushes.

P.s. I only noted this as you mentioned extremely fine airborne particles present :omg:

:thumbsup:

19. tjbelfield

Spot that JB the 3m mask is the best iv used to date and the extractor almost stop any fine dust landing on the low pressure stuff HERE S where I got my fans /extractors from iv hammered them big time still going strong. The ducting for the extractor s can be bought in 5 m lengths and attachés to itself so I have 10 m ducting.

The extractor s are available in different sizes I think mines 10 inch and pulls 40 odd m2 per min if I member right, so it also helps with the drying of the job nicely. I'm thinking of getting one of the bigger ones to make myself a home made spray booth in my garage. The prices are very good too .

Have you found any exploration proof extractors any where Mr Frosty?

20. Jam Buster

Good point Frosty, never thought about the motor being open, maybe an induction motor would be ok or I wonder if a filter would be effective ??
    There's also static to think about and light switches...

TJB, cheers for the link, they are tidy - I'll be ordering one later today - guess I'll get as big as poss for mainly workshop use -
    Amazing how much paint the fine spray head puts out, the main error so far has been my lack of speed.