1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagner XVLP 3500

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Dan Baker, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jam Buster

Jam Buster PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Finished this job yesterday - spraying the ceiling worked out nicely

Decided to use the standard finish nozzle (yellow) - sprayed 2 coats - completed the job in about 30 - 45 mins

Used Sika sikagaurd 5 star waterbased preservative - worked out that i only needed 10 ltrs max so it was convieniant size in 5ltr cans. Sika sikagaurd

Then decided to do walls also - cut round with brush first, thought it would save some time somehow, including window reveals, then masked up and cracked on with mistcoat then 2 full. Little Greene tuscany red intelligent matt, with a dollop of floetrol.

Looked very orange peely at first, but dried back flat & tight -

Gun settings: Preservative air-3 material-2 (standard nozzle)
    Little G. Int Matt air-6 material-7 (fine nozzle)

[attachment=5626]
    [attachment=5627]
    [attachment=5628]

This is the summer house and has a lovely view :thumbsup:

[attachment=5625][attachment=5629]

Attached Files:

Bobbones likes this.
  2. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great! Would never think to do walls with it? With a ceiling like that though it's sure made light work of it. A great tool to have for stuff like this, soon pays for itself.

3. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Looks great!

Did you leave the ceiling in the sika wood preserver ?

Edit: Removed double post :thumbsup:

4. Jam Buster

Thanks, walls took a bit longer than using roller and next time I would probably try the yellow nozzle...saying that the finespray still puts lots of material out...
    [hr]

Looks great!

Did you leave the ceiling in the sika wood preserver ?
    [/quote]

Yes Chesh - it's only a summer house and they don't mind if the wood yellows further...they wanted it protected but natural looking..

cheers

:thumbsup:

5. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Maybe a strange question but how do you decant your material into the spray pot,, question for everybody out there. Funnel or large jug?

6. Jam Buster

Stocking stretched over a clean bucket (old 10ltr tub)once I've thinned or mixed to the right consistancy - just pour into cup...couple of drips but nothing majour...then lid on bucket repat as needed.

Squeeze the edges of the bucket to produce a funnel if nessesary..your mix will live happily in the old bucket with lid on.

that's the method for me so far

Bobbones likes this.
  7. dazinteriors

dazinteriors PPS Tradesman

How do you find this unit for doing fitted skirting, is it able to be held on its side as I would assume the battery pack and handle would get in the way of getting it close to the ground level?

8. Jam Buster

it does look awkward and bulky...in use I find it well balanced even when cup is full.

only seen the mains version, but can see the potential for a few batteries in there....

[​IMG]

inside the cup there is a rigid plastic paint pick-up tube, this can be set towards back, front or even sides of cup prior to spraying, so I guess you could have it to the side...

When I've sprayed skirtings, I set the pick-up tube to front of cup and tilt forward slightly...works fine.

In the future...cause I messin with stuff... I might change / alter my pick-up tube from a rigid plastic to a flexible tube - then with a weight on the end... i can tilt any direction I like and it should follow the paint round in the cup :thumbsup:

Sprayandrun and 3 spires like this.
  9. Gazza

Going to be using this beast on monday for the first time, will be spraying some Coverstain, what settings would anyone suggest?

10. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

Iv put coverstain through my XVLP 6500 on 2/3 air and material flow 7 to 8 but i used the 30 degree heat facility to reduce the viscosity. Im not sure on the power of the hand held? you might need to thin? but once you get the settings right it sprays nicely, covers in one and lays down nice. Iv put a vid of my you tube channel on another thread i think in a industrial unit spraying 21 stained windows.

Good ventilation is needed, though i purposely stunk the place out to rid them untidy ba5tard sparkys.

Took 20 mins and they wer gone :smash: :biggrin:

Tomcio and Sprayandrun like this.
  11. BellyMan

BellyMan PPS Tradesman

How do you rate the paint crew? Thinking of purchasing one as iv got a big staircase to do with a lot of balustrade spindles very close together and also no carpets down. Was thinking of the Wagner paint crew, Wagner airless plus 240v from toolststion or the Wagner Project Pro 115 Airless. All under £250. Not wanting anything major but wanting something decent.

12. Gazza

Happy New Year Bellyman, I wouldn't say the paint crew is the tool for the job you want it to do. I was spraying some external timber fencing with some clear preservative, tons of overspray. I also own the wagner xvlp 3500 (pic above) this is the tool you need maybe. I'm not someone who does a lot of spraying but the xvlp would be the tool I would use out of my tool kit, others may have other/better suggestions mate.

tjbelfield likes this.
  13. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

I'd go with what Gaza says the XVLP even if you don't intend to spray much its worth having the XVLP just for radiators and spindles alone. Thats if your talking W/B pretty much perfect for the job at a reasonable price.

bagshot likes this.
  14. BellyMan

BellyMan PPS Tradesman

Happy year to you both also, thanks for the advice chaps :thumbup:

tjbelfield likes this.
  15. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I thinking about getting the xvlp 3500 does it take long to clean out gun? I cant find any info on cleaning I presume its taken apart like a traditional gun?
    Can the paint be left in the gun /cup for long periods?

16. dazinteriors

What is the over spray like on this unit, could it be used in rooms with covered furniture/carpets or do you still need to cover the glass on windows even if your not spraying them?

17. Jam Buster

The other guys will have a better idea than me - not done a lot of spraying, but to me, cleaning the 3500 is very simple and quick. Have a look at some vids on U toob etc

W'based wash out - generally about 10 mins for a spotless clean - used coverstain and BIN and although a pain using the solvents still doesn't take long to clean out.
    Easy to dimantle and put together again, seems v- good quality well built item to me.

W'based paints are no problem for a couple of hours, I'm in the habbit now of wiping the tip with a damp rag now, also if paint just drys on the tip you can use your finger nail to pick it off and just blast air through till it clears.
    Also left coverstain for a couple of days - all was ok but nozel needed a bit more help on first pull of trigger.

JaM

Sprayandrun and 3 spires like this.
  18. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Thanks for the tips Jam

I suppose it trial and error as with all spraying but all tips are greatly appreciated, not to sure wether to stick to O/B until I get back into spraying but I would prefer to spray W/B hence the 3500, do you find W/B more difficult?

19. Jam Buster

Bought the unit with the idea I might use it a 2 or 3 times a year so no big expectations...really just for priming undercoating.

But, found I'm using more due to it being quick easy set up and clean up...still got to prep and mask etc but for the jobs I've done so far it's been much quicker and paid for itself.

Paint wise, interior work i'm almost 90% w/b now
    Only sprayed oil based a couple of times and it's not for me due to the fumes etc...

....almost daren't say this (cause I used to think it was so rubbish) but find zinsser 123 a belting w/b primer/undercoat maybe its a new formulation or something :scratchhead:

Done a few walls now with LG intelli matt and they came out really smart..., have a small air extractor running and warm air from a small fan heater (water based only), for walls and large areas...in the right setting it's quicker than roller and brush I'd say but I'm still roller and brush 98% of the time...might change in time though.

I'm only playin at though when you look at TJ and the others.

The sikkens bl satura sprays nice too for w/work, warmed it up a little first but the air from the 3500 blows through warmish - which really helps the satura set up quicker I think.

Trying some of the other brands in the coming months Benji M & Valtti etc...

JaM

20. dazinteriors

I would like to see some pics of your standard covering before spraying Jam of interiors with carpet, furniture etc my main worry in using any spray setup is the over spray. I would mainly want a spray unit like this for stair spindles and rails.

Bobbones likes this.