1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagner XVLP 3500

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Dan Baker, Apr 8, 2015.

1. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

From memory better with the yellow head but thin it quite a bit!

greenbank and crj like this.
  2. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Many thanks will do !

3. crj

Just tried the yellow head, I made a right mess with it. I know you're supposed to use the yellow head with emulsions but just tried the brown and it was fine . Think I might have got carried away with thinnig it and as the yellow head pin hole is wider it was just splurting out.

All good now tho

3 spires and greenbank like this.
  4. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Love using xvlp for this. Absolute godsend for ornate plasterwork :thumbsup:

crj likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

I spray all my coving. With valspar trade white, if the viscosity cup is half empty in 60 seconds your good to go (I don't stand the full 2 minutes :whistle:) I found emulsions aren't such a fine spray nor do you need a fine spray but you don't want it splattering. I've also used to spray up wall corners and along skirting line if masked off. It's quick then roll walls / cutting the top if not masking.
    Yellow head worked fine and have sprayed the ceiling but that is what killed it. It's not great pointing upwards. Tip. Unscrew pot as soon as you stop to release pressure...@crj

ahenrypd and crj like this.
  6. crj

Which head you use mate

7. Wayners

I sprayed valspar with yellow head

crj likes this.
  8. crj

Ta I prob over thinned it tbf. Came out perfect in the brown head. Will just stick to the brown head for coving from now on as comes out plenty quick enough.

9. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Does one have a viscosity cup? A bit of extender maybe, or water. I think warming it will just make it dry on the tip faster.
    I did some ‘dental’ (because, I was told, it looks like teeth) cove in a big room last week. two coats by brush, = 4 hours and an ache in the shoulders... or two coats in 30 mins by hvlp and a longer tea break.

soz I didn’t notice the last page. Late to the party again.

crj likes this.
  10. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I used to use one but ended up going by eye in the end. If the “worms” disappear almost immediately on contact, you should be good to go through xvlp.

11. Wayners

I've got 4 ford viscosity cups. They come as stranded with most sprayers. The ford viscosity cup are silly money though and cheapest I can find is £5 :shocked:.
    They hold 100ml with 4mm ish hole I guess. I'd make one vs buying one but maybe most throw in bin when they get sprayer?

12. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yeah, yellow one, thinned out a fair bit by eye and not heated. Think I my have used brown head as well actually... Not a massive tech head when it comes to spraying! I just love how fast you can coat that horrible stuff up and get into the nooks and crannies, ooer Mrs, etc, etc....

RonyT and crj like this.
  13. crj

Ha yeah im on it now . Gonna do the coving in every room with it ow I've already got it out

RonyT likes this.
  14. 3 spires

TBH Yellow or Brown as long as it works!
    :yes:
    When I used mine RIP! Yellow was fencing and coving Brown was everything else!

I still think XVLP is a great system even thou I have upgraded it it would still be on the van if it still worked.:cry:

My only criticism is the turbine model is sold as a professional tool to my mind if it's not serviceable then its simply not for a professional trade, but saying that it has paid for itself many times over, I just hate products that are designed to throw away but are rather good.
    :scared:

15. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Worms? Please explain:think:

16. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Say you use a sturing stick, lift the stick up and let the paint dribble back into the can. As it flows, paint that is too thick sits on top like little worms.
    If they dissipate almost instantly and you can’t see anything, your paint is good to go.

Not sure what the technical term is :dunno:

17. Gazza

I like worms mate now you've explained it!

RonyT likes this.
  18. 3 spires

I never mess with viscosity cups you just get a feel for paint flow off a stirring stick, the disappearing worm is always my go to.

Gazza likes this.
  19. Gazza

So the new technical term is "the disappearing worm"

RonyT and 3 spires like this.