1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagner XVLP 3500

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Dan Baker, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jam Buster

Jam Buster PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Spindles are a good example of my lack of knowledge....i wouldn't know the best way to cover up on a job like that if it had carpets furniture etc....easy spraying into the stairwell I spose but going the otherway ?? When the unit is in action it blows air and if the sheeting is not tight and taped down, things quickly get flappy.
    I'd be able to do it...but it's something I've not done as yet

There's a job in March, I'll be spraying a wooden panelled wall which will have carpet and furniture in the room to cover so will try and do some photo's or vid....

JaM

Bobbones, 3 spires and dazinteriors like this.
  2. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

Here s a few pics of carpeted areas done with the airless with more overspray.

phpPlE8PWPM.jpg phpIHrRNgPM.jpg phprkXbO1PM.jpg

3. Jam Buster

Jam Buster PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Wow TJ, another perfect looking finish...whats the colour on the walls (welcome LG maybe ?) and did you spray walls also ?

JaM

4. dazinteriors

dazinteriors PPS Tradesman

Nice one TJ, did you not find you got any over spray on the window glass?

5. tjbelfield

The bedroom was a Dulux colour with no name. The walls on the stairs arnt painted as i pulled it up for the weekend then sheeted taped and rolled on the Monday.
    I only spray the walls if there is no colour changes and its right through.

Bobbones and Jam Buster like this.
  6. tjbelfield

You mask the glass of with paper or if you need light clear Pu films, the washi tapes from Kip i find leave the best lines to date.

3 spires, Bobbones and Jam Buster like this.
  7. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Fair play TJ think you are putting us all to shame with your quality finish :thumbsup:

What paint have you used on the woodwork and do you use the airless for finish or speed rather than xvlp?

:cheers:

mistcoat likes this.
  8. tjbelfield

That particular job was Sikkens BL Satura wihich is a sod to spray with the airless because it runs like mad, but with the XVLP because of the higher volume of air you dont get the runs. The Airless is finer droplets than the XVLP but is quicker to apply and you get a wetter coat with less air turbulence. For bigger jobs the Airless is better for speed so in answer to your question the Airless for speed an finish, XVLP for smaller jobs or a door maybe and now i use Air Assisted Airless the best of both.

9. 3 spires

Thanks TJ great info and expertise, getting a XVLP 3500 in a couple of days so dipping my toes into spraying after 20years!

tjbelfield and Bobbones like this.
  10. Bryan Bedard

Bryan Bedard PPS Apprentice

Great machine, use it a lot.

11. 3 spires

Wow what a great bit of kit, used it for the first time last night and sprayed a staircase and louvred doors all previously coated in woodstain I used BIN and a couple of coats they came up really well the guns easy to use and didn't take long to master, looking forward to using again next week.

I found it a little bit of a pain cleaning with meths perhaps experience will help, I think using W/B paints would be my preference especially for cleaning the gun.
    Anybody have any recommendations for W/B primers or tips cleaning guns with meths /white spirt?

12. tjbelfield

A quick dip in cellulose thinners cleans it up quickly for any hardened bits, also for cleaning any spray gun I use those scraggly micro fibre mits pulled over the neck of the gun then open it up full fluid with the air on the lowest setting so it dose nth blow everywhere. Viro sol is your get out of jail free card with any W/B internal blockages.

A's for W/B stain blockers Sikkens XP 610 is designed to spray only and Benjamin Moore Advance primer is also good for both though you have to wait 8 hours to re coat when used as a stain blocker but you can use this time to fine fill an caulk as its touch dry in no time but be gentle with your filling knifes.

bagshot, Bobbones and 3 spires like this.
  13. rowland cutting

rowland cutting PPS Master Craftsman

i keep reading these topics on the wagner 3500
    do most people think this is the best buy for its price range
    or are there alternatives

14. dazinteriors

dazinteriors PPS Tradesman

I am keeping an eye out for a video of it being used internally on spindles :winky:

15. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just used mine for the first time on spindles, and only the second time I'd used it all. It was pine/pitch pine badly varnished and previously stripped. I sprayed 2 coats of Ben Moore fresh start and finished with Mythic BL. I hate painted spindles, this method makes it fun again.

kevmoti, bagshot, Bobbones and 3 others like this.
  16. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

How long from start to finish it take you gazza including all the prep work etc?

I still have the graco handheld but it suddenly stopped working barly used tbh in 2/3 years

17. tjbelfield

Iv said before its worth having one for spindles alone. A's for the price its great value and a good start price to see if spraying s for you. For the private one man band its ideal for single rooms, its uses a little over what you d use with a brush with the benefits of a better finish and a more solid look in similar time or a lot quicker.

It takes a beating too, Wagner now there stuff in the spray world.

18. CheshireDecorator

Quick question about spraying...

Is a double pass acceptable as finished?

I allways though it's a thickness needed to be accepted but reading a debate online not long ago some say a double pass is fine others say its not?

19. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I spent probably 3 hours sanding them up with the rts400, there wasn't that much varnish on the spindles. Then it was about 3 hours per coat with a quick sand between coats about half hour and some filling. I would say theres somewhere between 15m to 20m worth of spindles over 3 floors of a large semi detached house. I don't think i'd brush another spindle again. Just struggled getting used to the control settings, finding the right balance. You really just have to practice but if you've been using the graco handheld you will have the knack anyway I would imagine. This is really my first ventures in spraying trim, sprayed a bit of masonry and emully years ago and portaflec. What setting do other xvlp 3500 users use on spindles etc?

mistcoat and CheshireDecorator like this.
  20. CheshireDecorator