1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall paper stripping and repaint.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by n8r, Apr 16, 2010.

1. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Was that a nightmare to strip, n8?
    Turned out good didn't it :yes:

:thumbsup:

3. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

N8,
    you made a lovely job of that mate :thumbsup: :thumbup: Normal practice for me, is that if I have stripped paper, I nearly always put paper back, especially if it is to be painted, this hanging a lining paper. It saves the excessive filing, forms a good base for painting, & then saves having to remove all the paste.

4. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

I took off the lining paper cause it was as thick as 4 layers in places.. it was full on fooked I will tell you that.  No, I just take it down to the sizing.  Wash it real good.  Let it sit overnight.  Then hit it with a fast dry oil primer.  Then skim coat, sand, pva, & topcoat.

5. mistcoat

Do you ever get any failure with the PVA being painted?
    I've heard of a few disasters where people have PVA'd then painted with emulsion/latex.
    Just wondering.

I have never used PVA as a sealer prior to painting.

6. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

what kind of failures are you talking about?  I haven't had any.  It is just a sealer primer.  Not a high build primer.  Again I would like to hear your thoughts on the failure of the pva :smile:

7. mistcoat

n8,
    Heard that the waterbased products can liven up the PVA sometimes, with possible crazing too.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have never seen anywhere on a Trade paint tin or a data sheet that says use PVA prior to sealing a substrate.

If it works for yer, don't fix what ain't broke.  :thumbsup:
    I don't think many deccies over here use it as a primer/sealer, I may soon find out I am wrong tho'  :scratchhead:

8. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

I do use the PVA in certain situations. It should not fail if it is diluted to the correct ratio. 5 -1 {PVA water} is a rough guide. For what n8 describes, just over filler to bind it & make it dust free, is a good example of where I may use it as well, especially if I am papering & I am not feeling generous enough to use guardz ::)
    I have known, where thick Neanderthal builders have used pva to seal new plaster before tiling - where they have gone wrong, is by not diluting it enough for it to penetrate, plus not sanding to create a key first. Tiles have with just shelled off the PVA or the PVA has failed with the adhesion to the substrate for the above reasons.

9. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

Agg I always use it on drywall patches I do.  Yes just to seal it, and to large areas of fresh drywall mud also.  PVA is pretty cheap, and there are other types of primer I use also, not just PVA but in these instances I use PVA.

10. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

http://duspec.com/DuSpec2/document/DocumentDisplayController.htm?documentId=934363

11. mistcoat

12. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

huh.. not sure what you mean. I  was just throwing up a tech sheet on pva.  I know you guys have glidden over there.  You know it is just a sealer really.  That tech sheet says that it is safe for both latex or oil topcoat.  Hell even said you could put it on metal...  :scratchhead: not sure I would do that though..

13. mistcoat

Our PVA and your pva may be different.

I must say, this product is no doubt the same or similar to Gliddens one.
    It's good stuff too.

Think I've been having a Senior Moment... or three  :huh:

14. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

crap that says adhesive?!  Well.. pva almost seems like a white glue that has some extra water added to it..  :scratchhead:

feck I don't know.  These fooking guys trying to sell their product as multiple different types..

15. mistcoat

The HallsBeeline one of ours does smell PVA as it goes, n8.

Yeah, crafty buggers.

I have a mate over here who does use the PVA adhesive mixed into ordinary interior emulsion/laytex and paints peoples house exteriors with it passing it off as exterior masonry paint  :angry:
    He never has much referral work. He is a one hit wonder.

16. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

You must be joking  :scratchhead:

17. mistcoat

Who?

18. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

the matey who whacks pva in his mully and sloshes it on exteriors  :biggrin:

19. mistcoat

It is true, Brian.
    I had him working for me a few years back.
    Put him on a function hall I had. Told me he had nigh on done so I could drive round and clear site. Started loading my van up with leftovers and low and behold was the Eggshell for the rads - unopened.
    I asked why it was unopened but the rads appeared to be in the correct colour.
    ''Oh didn't need it Timmy Boy, I did the rads in the vinyls silk for the walls.''
    :yell_:  :yell_:  :yell_:

Goodbye, my friend. No more work for you.
    BTW, that was the 2nd time he had toshed a job for me. First job he lost me a 2k+ H/S/L because he didn't clean the guttering out that I had priced for on the external phase.  :angry:

Anyway...
    :offtopic:

Sorry OP  :blush:

20. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

dang mist.. that is  :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: just plain stupid.