1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallrock Smooth advice.

Discussion in 'Wallcoverings - and related topics.' started by Edindec, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Total schoolboy error and hung it straight of the roll which in turn means the smooth is wall side in. Is there a chance that it's noticeable or would it maybe take an extra coat of emulsion. It's only a small kitchen so not a huge area.

2. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Unsure TBH never done it, I would do a test area may need a good denib fine sand after first coat.

Edindec likes this.
  3. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Be fine mate . Worse case scenario light deros after first coat. Get the impression quite a few people hang it like that anyway and don't realise there's a smoother side.

4. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Thanks for the replies, won't be painting it for a few days so hopefully be fine.

5. 3 spires

If you get chance us Gardz to first coat it to seal the fibres then sand.

lone furrow and Edindec like this.
  6. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

One thing I noticed was seams slightly opening up. The walls were stripped back (mixture of painted and bare plaster), then sanded 120grit with a festool, filled and resanded at 240grit, then everything sealed with gardz. I used the fibreliner power adhesive, and the joints were butted perfect when hung.

7. 3 spires

I slightly damp the joint to stop filler drying then run a firm mix of tx110 down the joint with thumb or paper seam roller followed by a filling knife then lightly sand.

I do find that most non woven papers do shrink back very slightly even on lining so it's worth spending time pushing the seams as tight together as possible, .5mm per drop doesn't seem much but that can add up to 1mm which ain't gonna fill up with emulsion!

Edindec likes this.
  8. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

I thought using wallrock and the adhesive stopped seams opening. The paste was great to use but not really seeing the benefit compared to normal lining paper now. Normally used normal 1200 lining paper and solvite flakes in the past and never had any problems.

9. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Craftsman Bar Member

:think:
    :scratchhead:
    :blush:

crj and RonyT like this.
  10. crj

:lol: very honest of you! :biggrin:

Obviously doesn't really matter then if you're happy with it it :smile:

Hang it all likes this.
  11. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

If its fess up time I've not only hung it the wrong way round but upside down as well.

mistcoat, Hang it all, bitzz and 2 others like this.
  12. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I've cut it as an offset match only to realise it was a free match.
    :biggrin:

crj and Hang it all like this.
  13. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

You'll have to ask @barry on this one Tony he is the expert with matches.

14. crj

Then blamed your nephew for it :biggrin:

mistcoat, Iain79, bagshot and 3 others like this.
  15. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Zinsser dry wall pro 2in1 is good for sealing and hardening fibres before light sanding.

I use red top Albany paste for wallrock. Double rolled, not had major issue with shrinkage.

Edindec likes this.
  16. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Was back today and a lot of seams had opened up slightly. Only took 10mins to flush with filler but never experienced that before and my prep was spot on. Wondering if it was maybe the gardz which caused it, just for future reference.

17. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Heating on?

18. crj

I use gardz and wallrock smooth all the time @Edindec and haven't had an issue as yet.

Must be summit else

Gary scott and White Spirit like this.
  19. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Same as Chris. Use it with Guardz all the time. The only thing I can think of is heat; same as Tim.

crj likes this.