1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weathercock project

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Aggie, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

I have taken this on for my amusement. :scratchhead:

Anyway, have been doing the clock dial, & thought, this looked a poor old thing that need some TLC - I hate to see little features like this neglected & unconsidered so...........

[attachment=578]

[attachment=579]

Here he is in the workshop, strange looking & weather beaten, in a sorry state, broken beak, a lead tail:scratchhead:I think the latter was added a very long time ago. the seam at the top has split & it is full of rust & crap.- see next photo. I prized open the split to empty it a bit & investigate what was going on. I gather that it had a mild steel tail at one point, then as that corroded, the lead one was added. However, I should think it was a copper tail originally & something must have happened to that. The main body is copper - which is traditional - this sort of thing is called Repousse, although I don't think this is a very good example, but I should think it's age would be nearer 200 years old which might explain it's crudity in manufacture.

[attachment=580]

I have made the little fella a new copper beak - in the picture below. It looks a little long & the comb on the top of his head could be too short as well. Anyway, I kept looking at it & thinking, something is missing, & then realized, he has no jowls {I think that's what they are called} so thought I would make him some. To start with, I made a lead one, I soldered it on when I did the repairs to the tail etc. However, it just did not look right, so removed it. Then I still felt he needed the, so instead made copper ones, which I riveted & soldered on & I now think he looks ok - photos later for that.

Anyway, he has now had a good rub down I filled some of the bad holes & imperfections with 'bonda fil' gave him a coat of sikkens Ac multi primer oil based. Then after rubbing down yet again, to try & get him a little bit smoother, I applied some Noxyde, which was left over from the clock. He has now has a coat of yellow oil based undercoat yesterday & this evening, I applied a coat of oil gold size ready for gilding. Again, more pics later.

[attachment=581]

Attached Files:

• 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
    • 084.jpg
      084.jpg
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
    • 087.jpg
      087.jpg
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  2. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

thats a really cool little project must be quite challenging to do all of it

3. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

well done c ock

And you aggie

I love projects like this, hence restoring anything I can lay my hands on from gardening tools/mowers. motorbikes and vans, non are financialy viable but i just enjoy doing it

it was traditional for the weathercock to be set up on the ground and for the local kids to leap it, they can then say for the rest of their lives that they jumped over the church weathercock. it would be fun for thhe church to organise this and theres no reason that local tv shoudnt have it as their final news peice with the benefactor getting an oppurtunity for publicity

4. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Never heard of that Mike, I like little things like that:good2:

5. Aggie

Thanks lads. Here are the latest pics as promised.

[attachment=583]
    [attachment=584]
    These are the ones where I made a little crop/jowel thingy for him, but decided later it wasn't right:whistle: The one below is there AC primer has been applied & the jowel under his beak really does look stupid.

[attachment=585]

The picture below is where I have made some copper jowels which I think look better. Here , he has been coated with Noxyde, which was left over from the clock dial. It has had a couple of coats of this now, so will make it waterproof & help hold it all together!. Note the real cockerell in the background - modeling the jowls for me

Attached Files:

6. Aggie

The picture below, shows that he has been coated with yellow undercoat & awaiting goldsize.
    [attachment=587]

This one shows him all gilded now. Previously (the blue pic above} I did not like the way I left the jowels fixing method a bit crude, so ground it down & filled it so that those little flanges on his body do not show.

[attachment=588]
    [attachment=589]

Tim is always going on at me to put my name on stuff like this, so on this occasion, I did. I engraved a little copper tag & shoved it his tale before soldering it in!:sarcastic:

[attachment=590]

Attached Files:

7. Colour Republic

Looks great, wonder how many people will notice it now, I'm sure even locals will look twice and wonder if it's always been there or is a new addition:scratchhead:

I quite like him although I wonder if he would look better after a can of red bull? Very discrete with the tag, I so like finding that when repairing things but in all honesty I would have made his tail about 10 ft bigger then covered it in my logo and business details:whistle:

8. Colour Republic

What did you put on the tag btw? Can't quite make it out

[attachment=597]

Attached Files:

9. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Nice work Aggie. Fair play you have a lovely eye for restoration work. How many hours to bring him back to life again?

10. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Another superb job Aggie,how did you price that one or was it four gratis,or are you trying to keep in with the big man upstairs :lol:

11. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

thats really nice work would look lovely when put back up

12. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Par excellance as exspected and a wonderful credit to the profession you are Aggie, well done sir its a great thing you do.........

13. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

This thread has been a pleasure to read. Can't help being envious of that.
    Nice touch where you popped the engraved copper plate. One mistake tho, you only wrote "Craftsman" and not Master Craftsman :scratchhead:
    I'm glad you didn't stick the plate in the Parson's Nose :omg:

I must say, this project makes my free ornamental lamp-post I finished today look poultry. Sorry, I meant paltry.

Good on yer, Ag :thumbsup:

14. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

top work again Aggie, how do you find the time?

15. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

Nice work there Agg's, I take it that copper plate could be taken as a 'Golden Egg'!

I'll get my coat!.............................TAXI!

16. josephandson

josephandson PPS Time Served

Is there anything you can't do??? The tag has it right "craftsman" :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. Aggie

Thanks for you comments guys & gals.

Here he is back up......it was a thunderous sky for the background, but I can assure you, when the sun shine on him, he can be seen like a beacon from almost a mile away.

[attachment=605]

[attachment=606]

Attached Files:

18. Colour Republic

I quite like him with the stormy sky behind. Glad to see him back at home and a surprise to see the turret, seems very fitting but I don't know why:scratchhead:

19. Colour Republic

Ahhh got it!

You've made him French!!

A French Cockerel topping out a Chateau!

20. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

He does show up very well, Ag! Another awesome piece of work from you mate.
    I hope they are happy him?