1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your tips of the week

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by Puma, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I found Repair Care fine finish can harden in 10 - 15 minutes on a hot door! Watch out if you are using it as caulk.:sad:

I think someone down the road used it on a wide door crack and now the wood has shrunk it has left a nasty bulge in the paintwork.

I always put in a few extra screws though the tongue and groove joints on a door which is cracking to help strengthen it a bit. I was a bit surprised to find out the best way to sand filled screw holes and cracks on a flat surface is with a limbide scraper.

A few more tomorrow...

2. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Viz tip, to save on your washing wear your pants inside out and back to front, you'll get three days out of them

Tomcio likes this.
  3. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:biggrin: used to buy Viz in the 80,s, mainly for Sid the Sexist! anyway not much of a tip but ive found if using orange brushes, Fox/Picasso in Bedec MSP it seems to make the last mil of the bristle go curly after a while? Does,nt happen with Corona chinex ive found.

4. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Even better get ya mrs to put them on and do the same after you

5. CraigBrooksDecorating

CraigBrooksDecorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Same thing happens with axus sash brushes and with F&B paint

6. Ngeraghty

Ngeraghty PPS Master Craftsman

Don't believe everything you read on forums!

7. tom henry

tom henry PPS Craftsman

here's my tip for the week- This week I was using mav erfurt express lining paper (it one of there paste the wall liners - cost around £8 a roll) for painting over.

Just watch out if your getting some as there are two variations - one is more white and more fibrous and the other less white and less fibrous. They are both in the exact same packaging(no batch number) and from my experience this week, I can say they were just mixed together on the same shelf along with the shop keeper being oblivious of the fact that there is a difference.

Very easy to lift a mixture, I lifted 11 rolls, 9 of one and 2 of the other and realized this when I was hanging half way up a stairway- definitely didn't want a texture difference half way along- had to travel back to the shop- very very annoying!

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

That's the silk, pearl and vellum papers isn't it,Tom :scratchhead:
    Good point and something to watch for buying from a store :thumbsup:

9. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

My tip picked up yesterday. If you are going to put the pelican on the floor behind you when you are painting skirting - make sure you can turn round really fast to pick it up when you kick it over so the paint doesn't escape. Fell stupid for making the mistake - but reckon I deserve at least 10 cool points for making a successful grab:smile:

10. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Don't let customers strip wallpaper for you. :no: :censored::angry:

siwel likes this.
  11. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Unless it's woodchip

Home Decor and Waynetta like this.
  12. rowland cutting

rowland cutting PPS Master Craftsman

dont eat yellow snow

Waynetta likes this.
  13. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Now you :censored: tell me :sad:

14. Puma

Always followed by we couldn't reach that bit, that wouldn't come off and the little bits won't show will they.

15. ready1873

ready1873 PPS Tradesman

Alex Vino in the 2.45 at Pontefract.

16. tom henry

tom henry PPS Craftsman

Hi Tim, it was just lining paper that I was using- cant see the same stuff on the web, but from memory it has a blue label that reads- express lining paper and its by erfurt mav

17. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I thought it may have been one from this range, HERE.

18. tom henry

tom henry PPS Craftsman

Yeah they ruin the walls, dont get the fiddly bits off eg back of rads and dont clean down, they then are expecting the job to be cheaper while your looking at all their gouges that have to be filled.

I wouldn't give them a price with money knocked off for work they will undertake themselves-you wouldn't know what way they would leave it. Last month a home owner had done all the priming on the walls and ceilings of his new house £0.5m house to save money- it was in a terrible state as he had used neat contract and put it on badly- lumps, mega roller stipple and roller lines. Told him we would have to sand it all back down and re-prime for a decent job- at least this guy realized he had wasted his time and money!

19. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Agree with you mate,had a lady strip the walls and I was a day filling them.:sad:

20. Puma

More Tips: Murfill, and Repair Care

Watch out for Murfill by Rustoleum. Yes it is fantastically elastic but it remains a bit sticky and picks up dirt like anything. I wouldn't recommend it for horizontal surfaces such as sills or around doorways.

Repair care is much easier to sculpt than Timbabuild and though more expensive I think it will probably be worth the extra in general. The trouble is it is sooo expensive. So I looked at ways of stretching it out. I would have loved to have not had to, but I would have spent about £500 on the last job I was on.

- Bulking it out with plastic pellets. I got some tiny perspex pellets from ebay it worked fine - if you add so much they stiffen the mixture noticeably then you have added too many as it will cut down the flex in the final set. You can add about 30% - 40% especially in pocket fills where you just need a little extra bulk. Then you can add a pellet free layer over the top for the finish layer.

- You can also fill volumes before applying a finish layer of repair care with Expanding PU waterproof wood glue (some on sealants online), not recommended as it doesn't set all the way through so when you try and chisel it into shape it foams up again. I found occasional use for it though in awkward areas where you want the void filled up.

In the end some repairs were all repair care - critical areas such as joints in the window frame, and some areas I just bulked up with two pack, pellet mix or frame sealant, after applying an epoxy primer, and before finishing 3 to 4 mills thick with repair care. Not ideal but cost cutting has to win sometimes.

One last handy tip is this: I found if you are replacing the entire front half of a sill, cut a piece of wood about 10mil too shallow so that you can then bed it down on some sbr sand cement (water proof). This really helped as it could easily be positioned to the exact position I wanted without any hassle at all. Just leaving a few mill gap to bond old and new together with screws and RC.